Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Summer Trades

I'll be leaving for a two week vacation tomorrow so I've been looking for easy trades that require little attention. Today I want to let you in one of my favorite longs and my favorite short that fall in this category.


I've been following JASO since shortly after its IPO in February. The company makes solar panels on industrial scales in China, so you could say its a Chinese solar play. Following its IPO the stock formed a healthy two month base before breaking out in April on a surge in volume and price (20$ - 28$). Since that move the stock has been working on a second base and found good support at its 50 day moving average. I like this chart right where it is but if you want to play it safe look for a break of the line connecting recent highs on above average volume. If you look at the April breakout you can see a similar pattern and indicators to the recent chart, and so I have been buying the stock near $24.

A stock I love to hate is CREE and when I see it going nuts like it has lately I can think of little else than the ride back down. I have posted about the blessings of being short CREE in the past so I won't go into details about why CREE is fundamentally such a great short. I will however suggest that the stock's little squeeze is nearing an end with the daily RSI at 85 and the price trading far above its upper BB, the stochastics said it was overbought days ago. I think its a no brainer short up here, there is no news to justify this move, not even remotely, eps growth is still negative.


I'll be back to posting weekly when I get back, in the meantime check back for posts by betweenthebars (btb) and indigo-alien. But don't stay inside and trade all day, enjoy the summer while it lasts! -pyth

Disclosure: I own JASO stock, CREE July 25 puts and CREE Sept 22.50 puts.

No comments: