Saturday, June 28, 2008

Saturday Rock Blog: Bust a Move



Now here's a stock that really busted a move. Energy conversion devices (ticker ENER) is involved in a number of different industries but it's recent runaway gap came from solar powered earnings. I've been following this stock for many years and it did nothing, I even had the privilege to sit down and chat about science and solar technology with the founder last year. Regretfully I did not purchase the stock, but after a pulback this thing will look very attractive to me. You know that I am extremely bullish on solar and thin film solar has the most promise (note FSLR). ENER makes thin film photovolataics like FSLR but out of Silicon instead of the extremely problematic CdTe. This is one of those stocks that could rally for ten years away from that gap, some say it could become the Microsoft of semiconductor technology. Expect more on ENER from me in the future.

2 comments:

tooquiet said...

As long as those aren't the same guys that invented the Betamax video tape system, you could be on to something there ;-)

However, I might be a bit cautious should oil top out and we see a massive correction. But I can't see that happening until a major world recession is declared and energy consumption is perceived to be dropping. Maybe in our kid's lifetime?

Setup for another Monty Python movie???

I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay...

pythagoruz said...

Hey tq,
On the betamax, yeah those dudes are old school. I'm not so sure they call themselves the "young mc's" anymore.

You make a good point on oil dropping but the nice thing about solar is that it counter trends. So when oil pops solar should go up on energy prices (even though they haven't been running at all lately aside from ENER). But when oil falls solars can still go up because the broad market will rally (on a large decline in crude).

I am bullish on these stocks in the short and long term so I see any pullback as an opportunity.