Sunday, October 08, 2006

Time to load up on Gold?

So, it looks like North Korea may now be among the nuclear weapons club. While it has yet to be confirmed, this is still going to be all over the news tomorrow and I expect we will see "official statements" about it all day long. Its hard to estimate exactly how serious this news will be for the markets but we did have clear signals from China, Japan and North Korea last week that a nuclear test would be "untolerable." Yes, China. While I wouldn't expect this news to plunge Asia into a war it certainly does increase the instability in the region and worldwide. Now I am no commodity expert but I can see the obvious connection between global instability and gold. In general gold is considered a very safe place to put money, especially instead of say South Korean currency in the event of a war. So my money hungry mind pulled up this 1 year gold chart (etf):
Gold is currently in a downtrend being below it's 50 dma, 200 dma and declining trendline. However, gold did find strong support last week and apears poised to at least test that trendine. The technical picture coinciding with the North Korea news may bode very well for gold. I wasn't surprised to see gold up very strongly overnight in Hong Kong and Sydney exchanges. To play this on a US exchange you can either trade the gold etf GLD or I would recomend considering a beaten up gold procucer like Goldcorp GG. If gold begins a new uptrend GG should move up fast. Recent aquisition issues have made GG cheap, AUY is also good if you preffer.
Is it time to load up gold, in my opinion: YES!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bite my crank, lowlife spammer.