Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Pullback Ends with a Hammer Reversal

Well that rally sure was nice. Not only did it provide some cool long side opportunities but it also gave us some sweet shorts. The pullback I was looking for on the indexes has completed perfectly. After a week long 1000 point rally on declining volume the dow staged a major reversal today on huge volume (note the inverted hammer). This sharp move up was characteristic of the types of rallies I expect us to see over the next few years. As you can see on the dow jones below, we rallied back up to the area where we first broke down which happens to be the 50% retrace of the overall decline from all time highs. Using a measured rule, I am expecting another 15.6% decline in the dow (matching the first leg) which will bring it down to roughly 10,500 in the next few months.


Now I've talked about the fallacy of thinking rate cuts are good for the markets, but today was something else. The market has seen the most rapid decline in interest rates ever with a 1.25% drop in a little more than a week. So if cutting rates was ever going to boost the stock market it would have happened today and the market did rally at first, a couple hundred points in fact. However, these gains did not last and the broad indexes all closed in the red at their lowest levels of the day, this is exactly what a hammer reversal looks like.

The media tells you big rate cuts are ultra bullish when in fact they signals major economic problems. Furthermore, the fed is essentially murdering the US dollar. You can expect to see gas prices much higher, food prices much higher and traveling much more expensive in the coming years. Is the tanking US dollar going to prevent a depression or signal one? I heard someone say today that the market acted like a spoiled brat demanding a new toy. It got the new toy, played with it for about an hour then threw it on the ground and started screaming again. Here's the S&P intraday action:


What I'm try to say here is that I am once again 100% bearish on the stock market. I have to admit that I was fooled briefly today and made the stupid decision of buying back some JASO and NYX calls after the cut. But I will be out of those tomorrow as I'm pretty much threw with calls for a while. Luckily, I had the foresight to load up big on DIA and BAC puts near the highs, so I did ok today. Time to be bears again, new lows are coming up in my humble opinion. I'll leave you tonight with a 3 year chart of the US dollar index, your hard earned tax dollars are working hard against themselves:



Disclosure: I own March DIA puts

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

During these market times: The market makers are in control. They will do things to totally confuse the HELLO out of us. Do I believe we will have a sell off? YEP but it wont be as big as everyone thinks. :) Just my own opinion.

tooquiet said...

I agree with you pyth. I think we will continue to see a downtrend in the markets with frequent spikes that will provide great shorting opps.

After a few years of a bull market, this just takes a bit of time for the majority of traders to figure it out - leaving more for us!

Avalon said...

I loaded up with puts at the top of the hammer!

pythagoruz said...

Kurious, I'm not sure anybody is in control of this market with all the wild swings we are seeing. I'm sure people think they are in control from time to time only to get smacked hard.

TooQuiet, yep. I'll be looking to short the spikes for a while I imagine.

Avalon, nice job, hope you took some profits this morning.

pythagoruz said...

In response to my own post, today was pretty much a reversal of the reversal. I expected that opening gap to get filled but the huge rally thereafter... that was pretty surprising. I was able to get some exits on calls I had on NYX and MA but otherwise today pretty much sucked. I entered some FNM, QQQQ and AAPL puts but way too early. There is no doubt in my mind that we are in a bear market but I am ready to entertain the possibility of rallying up a little further to the 50 day moving averages.

What seems more likely though is that we will stay in a range until the 50 dmas catch up but who knows. We'll just have to wait and see.

Short term: neutral
Long term: bearish

SpearDriver said...

Sounds like you guys are having fun.

But then, so am I!

http://www.scubadiving.com/forum/m.aspx?m=75931