Saturday, October 18, 2008

Saturday Rock Blogging: Harvest Moon

Sorry for the late rock blog today, I've been writing code (programing) for the past 24hrs. I did this Morgan Stanley 24-hr auto-trading bot competition and my three member team was up against 15 other teams here at the UofI. We were given the details of a market yesterday at 6pm and had to have a bot ready to run by 6pm today. I can't go into details about it because today's event was the first of four events with MIT, Stanford and Carnegie Mellon next. I wouldn't want to make it easy on anyone now would I? Our team chose python (.py <- nice file extension huh?) and used a moving average cross over system which performed quite well considering two of us (myself included) had never written in python before. We came in third overall, and by the way, we have a good computer science program here to say the least. As many of you know, I'm not in that department but Youtube was invented by some UofI computer science alums. So the competition was fierce and I have my segue into this week's rock blog:


That one was warmup for the real one in January, which I am signed up for and eagerly anticipating. But first, time for sleep.

No comments: